Baqai Institute of Physical Therapy Rehabilitation Medicine
Our Clinical Activities
Physical Therapy is the largest allied profession. Physiotherapist works with patients and their families/careers in a variety of disabilities and injuries. They use physical means to promote health, optimal rehabilitation and where possible recovery. Physiotherapists practice as autonomous professionals when acting as the first point of contact for clients/patients, or as a part of health or social care team.
The department of physical therapy provides services in the following specialties:
- Intensive Care Physical Therapy – Physical Therapy services provided to critically ill patients, comprehensive care and constant monitoring in ICUs and HDUs with the collaboration of other health care professionals.
- Pain Management – Pain is managed with the help of different pain reducing modalities like TENS, Heat therapy and Laser Therapy.
- Gynae Rehabilitation – Pre and Post natal exercise is taught to the patients and provides information regarding all gynecological rehabilitation and prevention in the development of chronic pathologies.
- Neuro & Spinal Rehabilitation – It includes treatment of all pre and post surgical conditions, all traumatic and non traumatic brain and spinal cord injuries.
- Rehabilitation for Diabetes Mellitus – exercises related to many diabetic problems such as poly neuropathies and muscular dystrophies.
- Pediatrics Rehabilitation – It provides inpatient rehabilitation and specialized program to treat children with complex medical conditions/deformities.
- Plastic & Reconstruction Rehabilitation – Plastic & Reconstruction Rehabilitation after surgeries improves burn survivor’s physical activates, function and appearance.
- Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation – Rehabilitation for degenerative conditions, rheumatologic disorders and soft tissue injuries etc.
- Sports Rehabilitation – Injuries associated with sports, and athletic training through modalities and gym activities.
In the shape of Ice Packs, reduces pain, swelling, inflammation and spasticity.
Includes Whirlpool and therapeutic pools.
TENS(Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation)
Relieves intractable pain.
One of the oldest methods of treatment, helpful in a variety of ways.
Exercise helps to maintain and improve body function and posture. It increases muscle tone, strength and endurance. Some exercises can be done by the patient alone. For others, the patient might need the help of the therapist. Mechanical Devices such as parallel bars, stationary bicycles, pulleys, weights and dumbbells are used. Self Help devices such as splints, braces, crutches and wheel chairs help disabled people perform daily activities. Physical therapists train people to use these devices and to develop confidence in accomplishing daily tasks.
Role Of Phyical Therapy in Today's World
In the world of today, there is an unprecedented rise in the number of accidents. Road accidents, terrorist activities, industrial accidents, agricultural accidents, crime and of course, everyday accidents at home, all contribute to the spiraling number of musculo-skeletal trauma in recent times. The situation is made worse by multiple injuries, complicated fractures and many types of combination injuries and problems. Naturally, there has been a great increase in the number of Orthopedic Surgeons and new developments in trauma management. Joint replacements, Arthroscopic surgery, methods of bone fixation, both internal and external are routinely practiced. All these treatment methods aim at restoring the lost anatomy, but not the pre-injury functional status. A good fracture fixation may facilitate faster recovery but not complete recovery. This is where physical therapy and rehabilitation enter the picture. Improved fracture fixation and good rehabilitation programs are the twin pillars of successful treatment in trauma. The same applies to Backache, Frozen Shoulder, and Osteoarthritis etc. No one can deny that Orthopedics and Rehabilitation are inseparable. In fact, without good physical therapy and rehabilitation, the Orthopedic Surgeons’ job is only half done.
Careers In Physical Therapy:
Doctor of Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation Medicine program of 5 years duration, now on offer at Baqai Medical University. Physical Therapy Program (DPT) includes courses in Anatomy, Physiology, Orthopedics & Surgery, Clinical Medicine, Psychology, Sociology, Kinesiology, Medical Physics, Electrotherapy and Physical Therapy Treatment. Post Graduate Diploma in Sports Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation Medicine has been approved by the Academic Council.
Master’s two years program is in the planning stage.
Physical Therapists work in such places as Clinics, Hospitals, Schools for the Handicapped, Private Offices, Academic Institution, Home Health Service, Nursing Homes and Old People’s Homes.
Course Of Study
- Anatomy – I
- Physiology – I
- Kinesiology – I
- Pak-Studies / Islamiat / Moral Philosophy.
- Computer Literacy/Professional Communications.
- Medical Physics
- Anatomy – II
- Physiology – II
- Kinesiology – II / Biomechanics
- Electrotherapy – I
- Physical Therapy Treatment – I
- Sociology/Life Span & Human Growth
- Physical Therapy Treatment – II & Fundamentals of Rehabilitation
- Community Medicine
- Medicine – I
- Electrotherapy – II
- Surgery – I & Orthopaedics – I
- Imaging for Physical Therapists
- Physical Therapy Treatment – III
- Research Methodology – I
- Medicine – II
- Surgery – II & Orthopaedics – II
- Occupational Health
- Ethics & Professional Issues
- Exercise Physiology/Sports Medicine
- Orthopaedic Rehabilitation/Amputations/Prosthetics/Orthotics
- Research Methodology (Seminars)
- Health Services & Hospital Management Role of Physical Therapy
- Clinical Affiliation & Professional Practice
- Research Reports & Desertation
The course of DPT shall comprise of 5 academic year (full time) and one-year clinical internship, which is subject to availability of the clinical placements and the academic merits of the students. The entry requirement for this course is intermediate pre-medical or equivalent with 60% marks.
Free of cost Physical Therapy services at OPD BIPTRM.
Facilities as provided by the Baqai Medical Universit.
Faculty List Of Department of Physical Therapy - DPT CLICK HERE
|Day One Function||January|
|World Physical Therapy Day||8th September|
|Independence Day||14th August|
|Annual Function||Last week of October|
|Mela / Innovative Competition||2nd week of November|
|Convocation / University Symposium||Mid December|
|Inter Class Debate Competition||Last week of March|
|Bait Baazi Competition||2nd week of April|
|Talent Show||Last week of July|
Baqai Institute of Physical Therapy Rehabilitation Medicine
Dr. Mahnoor Bugti
PhD Scholar, CHPE CKPT, M-Phil, DPT
Dr. Muhammad Afaq
MSAPT, DPTd, BSPT
Dr. Nabi Bukhsh
PhD Scholar, MSAPT, DPT
Dr. Yusra Sohail
Dr. Aayan Huda
Dr. Ayesha Latif
Dr. Ariba Sohail Ahmed
Dr. Sara Tanveer Hussain
Associate Professor - Physiology
Prof. Dr. Syed Inayat
Head Department of Anatomy
Associate Professor - Anatomy
Lecturer - Anatomy
Prof. Mr. Olid
Professor - English
Assistant Professor - Pakistan Studies
Assistant Professor - Introduction to Computer
Dr. Arshad Jamal
Assistant Professor - Biostatistics
Dr. M. Yasir. Rishi
Lecturer - Pathology & Microbiology
Dr. Sehrish Mehmood
Lecturer - Pharmacology
Prof. Dr. Jameel Ahmed
Chairman Department of Medicine
Assistant Professor - Medicine
Senior Lecturer - Medicine
Prof. Dr. Aslam
Professor - Surgery
Dr. Aneel Kumar
Head of Radiology Department
Registrar in Radiology Department